LinkedIn is a website dedicated to networking and finding jobs. It has very detailed information on how they collect your personal data.
Personal data collected
When you sign up for a LinkedIn account, you have to provide your name, email address or phone number, and password. If you decide to go premium, you have to provide your credit card and billing information. When you set up your profile, you can choose what information to share, such as education, work experience, skills, photo, city or area and endorsements. This way businesses can find your profile easier and are more likely to hire you.You should not include any information you do not want public. LinkedIn also collects information from you when you fill out a survey, submit a resume or fill out a form. If you decide to sync your calendar or contacts with LinkedIn, you allow them access to your calendar information and address book. Doing this allows them to suggest relevant people to connect with and help you grow your network. You are not required to share this information, but it may limit your ability to network. When you or others post information about you, LinkedIn collects this information to help make the site relevant to your interests. They also collect your proxy server, IP address, web browser, operating system, mobile carrier, and if allowed, your location via GPS. When you send or receive a message, LinkedIn also collects that information to track your usage and set up reminders for you.
Personal data usage
LinkedIn uses data to:
- Connect you to your colleagues and employer, and search their network for more opportunities for yourself.
- Help others find you on LinkedIn.
- Show you people to invite to their services.
- Find nearby people to network with you.
- Stay connected with news that interests you and other professionals.
- Let others know what you are actively doing on LinkedIn.
- Find careers.
- Find education.
- Be connected to employers for career opportunities.
- Work with other members on a job.
- Find potential people to provide your services to.
- Export information from your LinkedIn profile.
- Contact you via mobile or email.
- Target ads that are relevant to you.
- Improve their services.
- Research about job trends.
- Conduct surveys about their services.
- Prevent fraud.
Cookies and similar tech
Your LinkedIn account allows you to network with others in similar fields of interest. You can also connect with friends, employers, colleagues, and family members that use their website.
How to protect your privacy
There are many ways to protect your privacy on LinkedIn such as the following:
- Disable cookies on your browser and the website.
- Edit your settings to limit what others see about you and to limit what information you share with LinkedIn.
- Change how visible you are in groups.
- Do not sign up for a LinkedIn account.
- Close your LinkedIn account.
How to contact LinkedIn about your privacy
You can contact LinkedIn through their website or postal mail:
In the US:
1000 W. Maude Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Outside the US:
LinkedIn Ireland Unlimited Company
Wilton Place, Dublin 2